1. Vocabulary Support
- Students participate in an interactive Webquest that introduces them to relevant vocabulary of the 1920s. This includes terms they need to know to understand the era such as the 18th and 19th Amendments, as well as popular slang of the 1920s like the term "the bees knees."
- The unit incorporates three graphic organizers, one for each student activity, to help guide students in the learning by organizing the material.
- Students self-select their 1920s celebrity for participation in the Visual and Performing Arts Activity. By providing student choice, this increases their engagement and participation in the activity.
- The opportunity for flexible grouping is available through several of the primary activities for this unit, including the Service Learning project.
- The Webquest includes "chunked" text linking to specific readings and directing students to the reading necessary to complete the activity.
- The introduction to the unit is read as a class.
- Students self-select their own primary source to represent their celebrity for the role play activity.
- Each activity and lesson in the unit includes activities designed to meet the needs of students' multiple intelligences. Activities include supports for visual, audio, and kinesthetic learners.